Position title: Report Writer (management position)
Location: Dunbar, East Lothian, UK
Job type: Full time permanent position
Salary: Competitive salary subject to qualifications and experience
Ocean Science Consulting (OSC) Limited seeks to expand its Dunbar-based UK team. Applications are invited for a full-time, Report Writer (RW) with the possibility of further extension and/or permanent employment, subject to performance. OSC is an international research and technology-focused marine science company involved principally in the global supply of underwater noise measurement and modelling, marine mammal detection, and risk mitigation services. OSC reinvests > 80% of profits into Research & Development (R&D), orientated primarily towards high-level research on the harbour porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) and other marine life interactions with offshore installations, improving marine mammal and environmental monitoring standards worldwide, and underwater noise. This has resulted in several peer-reviewed publications (www.osc.co.uk/publications-and-press-covers) and a non-profit book entitled the Marine Mammal Observer and Passive Acoustic Monitoring Handbook (www.pelagicpublishing.com/the-marine-mammal-observer-and-passive-acoustic-monitoring-handbook.html).
This is a managerial role, so prior supervision experience in essential. In the capacity of RW, you will work closely with the Directors, Team Manager, and OSC’s employees and contractors to produce and deliver high calibre reports in short time periods, with tight deadlines, often outside usual working hours. If you are not able to complete a high-calibre report within one week, do not apply for this position. This is not an academic position.
OSC seeks a motivated individual to become a valued member of this highly successful research team. You will be responsible for data collection, assimilation, preparation, analysis, interpretation, and presentation to clients. We are looking for a candidate who has previous commercial experience in this field. You must also be a commercially qualified and experienced Marine Mammal Observer (MMO) and Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM) operator. The role includes working offshore in a range of sectors (www.osc.co.uk/sectors/). Do not apply if you are easily prone to seasickness, unfit medically, or not prepared to spend long periods (>6 consecutive weeks, occasionally more) away from home, although durations are usually less.
- High-level consultancy report preparation, management, and submission;
- Quality Control (QC) of OSC reports carried-out by others;
- Management of report progress and deadlines;
- Management of the OSC data team;
- Preparation of peer-reviewed papers;
- Submission of peer-review papers to scientific journals;
- Dealing with the peer-review process;
- Literature reviews;
- Data preparation, entry and management;
- Creation and maintenance of databases (including Microsoft Excel);
- Statistical analyses of biological datasets, including statistical modelling;
- Analysis of Remotely Operated Vehicle footage;
- Generation of high-level figures and graphs for presentations, reports, and publications;
- Creation of maps in QGIS;
- Organisation of research sourced from journals and list serves; and,
- Entry of publications into referencing software (EndNote).
- Stock control and testing of PAM and other oceanographical equipment;
- Working offshore as MMO & PAM Operator;
- Generation of content for social media and websites;
- Day-to-day administration; and,
- Carry out any duties which your line manager may reasonably request within the broad parameters of your role.
Other desirable, but not necessary experience
- A higher qualification in English (A-Level, Higher, etc.);
- At least one-peer-reviewed scientific publication;
- Practical experience working with C-PODs;
- Experience processing, handling, and analysis of C-POD datasets
- Practical experience working with CTDs;
- Experience handling oceanographic datasets;
- Experience with noise measurement; and,
- Experimental design.
Qualifications, skills, & experience
A degree (minimum 2:1) in a relevant scientific marine discipline (marine biology or marine biology & oceanography). A Masters degree or PhD is not a requirement for this role, but applicants with these level of qualifications are encouraged. Qualifications and experience in the offshore sector (do not apply for this position if you do not already have prior offshore experience and possess medical, BOSIET, MMO, and PAMO certificates), and previous commercial experience writing reports at a level expected by the offshore industries and associated licencing/permitting/environmental authorities. The candidate must have an excellent standard of spelling, punctuation, and both written and verbal grammar, and be able to write quickly (with a low level of mistakes) at very high level. English is required as a first language; other languages are a bonus, but not essential. Extensive QGIS (or similar) experience is a must, as is the ability to produce figures and charts at high level. The job requires extensive use of referencing software (Endnote). The candidate must be highly numerate and familiar with and statistical software packages (e.g. SigmaStat, R). The ability to perform statistical modelling (General Linear Modelling, GLM, General Additive Modelling, GAM) is required. The successful candidate will also be working in the field as an MMO/PAMO.
To succeed in this role, you will need the following characteristics: strong leadership and managerial skills, professional and discreet, positive and happy attitude, honest, self-motivated, career-driven, diligent without encouragement, go that extra mile with alacrity (whether for your line manager or the whole OSC team) and see through projects from start to finish with minimal guidance and supervision. Intelligent, capable of autonomous thought, exhibit initiative (often under pressure with minimal deadlines & resources), volunteer ideas for improvements and progress without request, excellent phone manner, willingness for involvement in a wide variety of tasks (including unfamiliar territory), prepared to work in a fast-paced-work environment and meet tight deadlines, and work equally as well independently and as part of a team, highly numerate and literate (both verbally and written), IT and tech-savvy (in particular with Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), excellent organisation and planning, adept at multitasking and prioritising (RWs can be involved in multiple research projects simultaneously), inquiring and interested about the business and its industry, commercial awareness, flexible with working hours (altering start and finish times to reflect management’s requirements across our different world-wide office locations and time zones, and will include occasional evenings and weekends).
Apply only if you meet the aforementioned requirements. Do not apply if you do not have your full offshore medical and certifications.
If interested, please send your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please activate a return/read receipt function on your email application, as we expect high volumes of applicants.
Application deadline: 7 March 2018
OSC Recruitment Team.