Vacancies: MMO and PAM vacancies
Salary: competitive, dependent on qualifications and experience
Ocean Science Consulting Limited (OSC) seeks to expand its UK-based team. This is a rare opportunity for permanent, full-time employment as an MMO and/or PAM operator. Applicants should be able to assist competently with reports, publications, articles, and must be self-motivated when offshore to continue these tasks during project downtime. These roles should be based primarily offshore, with project durations lasting from a few days to months at a time, and between offshore projects, personnel will contribute to shore-based duties at the Company’s HQ in Dunbar, Scotland.
Ocean Science Consulting Limited (OSC) is a privately-owned technology-focused marine-science company involved principally in the global supply of underwater noise and marine mammal monitoring, and risk mitigation services. OSC reinvests >80% of profits into Research & Development (R&D), orientated primarily towards high-level research on the harbour porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) and other marine mammal species, Rigs-to-Reefs using Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) footage, underwater noise measurement and modelling, and improving marine mammal and environmental monitoring standards worldwide. OSC’s research has resulted in many peer-reviewed publications (www.osc.co.uk/publications-and-press-covers) and a non-profit book entitled the Marine Mammal Observer and Passive Acoustic Monitoring Handbook (http://www.pelagicpublishing.com/the-marine-mammal-observer-and-passive-acoustic-monitoring-handbook.html).
Individual Job descriptions can be found on: https://www.osc.co.uk/careers/vacancies/
A successful candidate will have the following:
- A degree (minimum 2:1) in a relevant scientific marine discipline (marine biology/ oceanography/marine ecology);
- A genuine interest in marine mammals, the processes by which they are studied, and an understanding of the physical parameters of the ocean which affect them;
- Prior MMO/PAM work in either research or commercial sector, an interest in spending time aboard vessels/rigs collecting data in a variety of weather conditions;
- MMO JNCC certification;
- BOSIET, and offshore medical (O&G or ENG1);
- UK or EU citizenship, or visa which permits work within the UK;
- Ability to work offshore for prolonged periods of time;
- Ability to collaborate within a team setting to produce high calibre publications and reports;
- Ability to prioritise workloads, and to work under pressure when met with deadlines; and,
- Genuine interest about the business and industry, including commercial awareness.
Apply only if you meet the requirements. Preference will go towards those with pre-existing offshore certifications, or those willing to acquire qualifications before commencing employment. A sense of humour helps in this industry role. Short-listed candidates should expect to receive small written and skills tests during the interview process.
If interested, please send your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com . Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 15th August 2020