Position title: Report Writer
Employment: Full-time/permanent position
Salary: £22–28,000, dependent on qualifications and experience
Location: Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland, UK (opportunity for project work offshore globally)
Application deadline: 10th May 2021
Ocean Science Consulting Limited (OSC) seeks to expand its UK-based team. This is an opportunity for permanent, full-time employment as a Report Writer. Applicants require a high level of literacy and numeracy, and should be able to perform reporting over a range of marine scientific subjects, including, but not limited to, Marine Mammal Observation (MMO), Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM), noise measurement & modelling, Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) data analysis (not piloting), benthic sampling, tendering for projects, high-level literature reviews on relevant topics, and copy-editing of pre-written reports. There is potential for exceptional candidates to be involved with peer-reviewed publications. This role can be split between time on/offshore for those possessing offshore certifications and a desire to work offshore. When onshore, the position is based at the OSC’s headquarters in Dunbar, East Lothian, Scotland.
The candidate will work closely with OSC’s Directors, senior scientific and management staff, and contractors, to produce and deliver high-calibre industry reports in short time periods, with tight deadlines, sometimes outside usual working hours.
OSC is a privately-owned and technology-focused marine-science company involved principally in the global supply of underwater noise and marine mammal monitoring, modelling, and risk mitigation services. OSC reinvests >80% of profits into R&D, orientated primarily towards high-level research on the harbour porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) and other marine mammal species, Rigs-to-Reefs using ROV footage, underwater noise measurement and modelling, and improving marine mammal and environmental monitoring standards worldwide. OSC’s research has resulted in many peer-reviewed publications and a non-profit book entitled the Marine Mammal Observer and Passive Acoustic Monitoring Handbook.
Individual Job descriptions can be found on: http://www.osc.co.uk/careers
A successful candidate will have the following:
- UK citizenship, or visa which permits work within UK;
- Excellent command of spoken and written English including: grammar, punctuation, spelling, and writing style – including the ability to learn ‘OSC’ style;
- A demonstrated track-record of producing high-calibre reports;
- A degree (minimum 2:1) in a relevant scientific marine discipline (marine biology/ oceanography/marine ecology/environmental science, etc.);
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to collect, assimilate, prepare, and interpret data for the purposes of a report, to a standard suitable for an industry client to read;
- Ability to collaborate within a team setting to produce high-calibre publications and reports;
- A genuine interest in marine monitoring methods, ecology, and the physical oceanographic process affecting species;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams;
- Ability to prioritise workloads, and to work under pressure when met with deadlines;
- Maintain a library of information for future use, and ensure knowledge is up to date and accurate;
- Prior experience using Endnote, or similar referencing software; and,
- Genuine interest about the business, and the industry including commercial awareness.
- A-Level/Higher or equivalent in English;
- Prior experience in the commercial sector as a report writer;
- JNCC-approved MMO certification;
- Prior MMO/PAM work in either research or commercial sectors, interest in spending time aboard vessels/rigs collecting data;
- Peer-reviewed publication(s); and,
- BOSIET, and offshore medical (O&G or ENG1);
Prior to interview, short-listed candidates should expect to receive a written test and prove they have the right to work in the UK. Preference will go towards candidates with pre-existing offshore certifications, or those willing to acquire qualifications before commencing employment.
If interested, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.